Rafik Tanious is an education and mental-health professional and film maker, who specialises in cross-cultural therapeutic interventions and inter-cultural learning. In this discussion with Nicole Loehr, they address the specific needs of learners with a refugee experiences and ways in which schools, teachers and counsellors can support in more culturally sensitive and trauma informed ways.
Rafik talks intimately about his personal journey in Australia and how it would later influence his work over the last 25 years, both in Australia and internationally. More recently through the complexities and opportunities in working with young people with a refugee experience who have been resettled in rural and regional areas of Australia.
Find Out More:
- Bodgies Westies and Homies
- I live Here – Cabramatta Australia
- Inside Outside Cabramatta
- Intercultural Learning Interview: Australian International School, Indonesia
- Intercultural Understanding in the Australian Curriculum
- The Location of Culture, by Homi K Bhabha
Produced by Nicole Loehr. Music by Eric Avery and R.E.M. (performed by Troy Reilly). Image supplied by Rafik Tanious.